MillWorks – Restaurant Interior
When we began the design process for this stunning restaurant little did we know that it was soon to win ‘Cambridge Restaurant of the Year 2017’. Loci were thrilled to be appointed as principal designer to Cambs Cuisine’s latest venture on the Mill Pond.
The original brief was to create a unique brasserie with 180 covers. The client also tasked Loci with the branding design which needed to fit within their 7 strong brand portfolio while adding a new and exciting flair. The interior had to be open plan and informal while referencing the beautiful location overlooking the River Cam. The history of this iconic vintage watermill was also a major influence on the interior design with a working oak waterwheel commissioned and installed in the centre of the restaurant. MillWork’s new layout needed to accommodate for private dining as well as larger groups for Brunch, Lunch and Dinner with a bar to serve coffee and juice through the day and cocktails during the evening.
Through this project Loci took on a varied role including:
– Acting as the interior architect, coordinating all structural and layout changes throughout the building
– Offering a planning consultation service, liaising with Cambridge City Council to approve a new conservation grade working water wheel, a fish and eel pass and checking for bat roosts
– Consulting on the restaurants new name as well as designing the branding and physical signage for the interior and exterior of the restaurant
– Specification and procurement of all fit-out items
– End-to-end project management through to the launch of the restaurant.
One of the biggest challenges faced was overseeing the design and installation of the waterwheel. This meant liaising with Wheelwrights & Craftsmen to build all the elements of a vintage wheel. In order to design the wheel members of the Loci team personally went swimming and diving into the river to ascertain exact dimensions and existing sluice conditions underwater.
We’re very proud to have been a part of this beautiful Cambridge Restaurant refurbishment completed within a limited timeframe with a modest budget. Cambs Cuisine were thrilled to receive the prestigious Cambridge Restaurant of the Year 2017 following the restaurant’s launch.